Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Altec Valencia's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member drudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all,I'm new here.
    I have a set of Altec Valencia's and I would like to bi-amp them.
    I looked at the crossovers (N800 8K),
    they look to be 2nd order butterworth.
    I used a HP RC analyzer on the inductors & caps and found them to be about 1.69 Mhy.
    The cap on the low freq. side was about 20uf.
    The cap on the high freq. side was about 7.9uf.
    It looks to me that the low side rolls off at around 865hz.
    and the high side comes in at about 1377hz.
    Does this sound right?
    What becomes of the gap between 865 and 1377?
    How would I set up my electronic crossover?
    Thanks,
    Dindle

  2. #2
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    remember LC is not as sharp a cutoff as digital and the horns were really hot in the mid range the gap is not gone just reduced to match the speaker efficiency.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    And also, the second order Butterworth has a 3db
    response peak at the crossover point if aligned.
    This could be fixed by gapping the points like
    it seems they did. Linkwitz-Riley alignments
    didn't come out until 1976 and solved that problem. Your active crossover set at 800 should
    be fine and well worth your efforts. Good Luck.

    reference
    http://www.rane.com/note107.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.